For some patients, the fear of going to the dentist is directly related to the dreaded dental drill and the shots of anesthesia that come with it. Luckily, there is a way to offer superior treatment without the use of drills and anesthesia – laser dentistry. We utilize laser dentistry at our Wilmington, Delaware, practice to perform everything from cavity preparation to general soft tissue procedures.
How Does Laser Dentistry Work?
Laser dentistry includes a wide range of lasers. Here at our Wilmington, Delaware, office, we utilize the Waterlase® and Waterlase MD, which use a laser-energized, cool-water spray to cut teeth without producing heat.
During laser dentistry treatment at our practice, the Waterlase® system emits a laser beam that passes through a fine spray of water and air. The water droplets become highly energized with laser energy and rapidly remove enamel, decay, and dentin, the main, hard part of the tooth.
In most cases, laser dentistry does not require an anesthetic, which helps to improve comfort and ease anxiety. Laser dentistry is safe for both children and adults.
What Procedures are Performed with Laser Dentistry?
The Waterlase® laser dentistry system can be used for both hard tissues (teeth) and soft tissues (gums). Treatments that can be performed with laser dentistry include, but are not limited to:
- Decay removal and cavity preparation: Laser dentistry allows for a more precise removal of decay, allowing you to keep more of your natural tooth structure. In addition, the Waterlase® maximizes the bonding of tooth-colored fillings, helping them to last longer.
- Crown lengthening: Laser dentistry eliminates “gummy” smiles by removing excess gum tissue and exposing more of the tooth structure
- Gum reshaping and contouring
- Periodontal (gum) therapy and general soft tissue procedures
- Removal of small growths on the gums or lips
If you would like to learn more about the procedures we perform with laser dentistry at our Wilmington, Delaware, practice, contact New Concept Dental today.
What Are the Benefits of Laser Dentistry?
Laser dentistry makes dental treatment at our office quick and painless. Additional laser dentistry benefits include:
- Unlike traditional dental drills, laser dentistry does not produce heat or vibration. This eliminates the need for anesthesia in most cases, meaning no shots and no lingering numbness after treatment.
- Laser dentistry offers pinpoint accuracy, reducing the damage to healthy tissues.
- Laser dentistry sterilizes teeth as it removes decay, reducing the chance of further decay.
- Laser dentistry does not produce the loud whining noises associated with dental drills, making it ideal for patients who are afraid of drills and needles.
- Laser dentistry does not require cutting or stitches during gum treatments, resulting in less bleeding and faster healing.
Laser dentistry can perform a wide variety of treatments, all without the need for drills, anesthesia, or shots. If you would like to schedule a laser dentistry appointment at our Wilmington, Delaware, practice, please contact New Concept Dental today. We look forward to hearing from you!